Edinburgh Innovations Limited (otherwise known as EI) is committed to protecting your privacy and keeping you informed of how your information is used. We will only record your personal details in the manner and for the purposes set out in this privacy statement. Data will be kept secure from unauthorised access, use or disclosure; and not sell, rent, trade or otherwise knowingly share or provide your personal information to any third party, except insofar as legally obliged to do so or as specified below.
WHAT INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
Information we collect includes:
- Any contact with EI via our website will request contact information (such as your name, organisation, postal address, telephone and email address) which you provide by registering with us, submitting an enquiry via the website or submitting a request via our online forms.
- Your responses to surveys which we ask you to complete for research purposes
- How you use the website unless you have opted out of cookie consent
- Any other information you post, email or otherwise send to us
- If you use our Click-Thru Licensing System, you will be required to register with us by providing contact information and payment details
- Enterprise Development and Launch.ed advisors will track information about mentors, start-ups and spin-outs. This information will include; contact details, contract details if applicable, trading start dates; employee numbers and details; capital raised; revenue; incubator detail; awards, competitions and programmes
- Enterprise Development and Launch.ed will collect visa application client details including revenue and employment status
- Enterprise Development and Launch.ed will take an individuals photograph for identification purposes
- Event registrations details are collected which can include: name, address, email, contact number, business information, job title, institution details, institution title, areas of expertise, nationality and gender
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
Edinburgh Innovations will process the personal data of academics, researchers, students, graduates, business clients and other stakeholders, in order to deliver and improve the opportunities and services we provide in a personalised manner, to ensure each individual receives relevant information and to ensure we use resources in the most efficient and effective way.
Information about you will only be used:
- If you have provided us with your consent
- If processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take the steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract
- If it is in the legitimate interest of Edinburgh Innovations to process information about you as you are part of the University of Edinburgh community. Thus, we would very much like to stay in touch with you and keep you informed of our events, technologies, news and services
- For Human Resource recruitment and selection purposes
Personal data is processed by EI and the University of Edinburgh and affiliated groups.
With your consent we will:
- Keep you up to date via electronic, postal and telephone communications with news, events, activities, programmes, technology, services, funding and progress of interest to you regarding EI and Launch.ed
- Process information about you to administer your conference attendance and share your details with participants of Edinburgh Innovations and Launch.ed events and after the event, send you presentations and surveys
- Send you marketing information of the University of Edinburgh technologies
- Collect a photograph if you are an Enterprise Services client. This is used in our customer relationship management database to help advisers identify you.
On the basis of our contractual obligations to you we will:
- Process contracts to fulfill obligations under consultancy and service deals, contract research agreements, translational funding award applications, industry supervisory roles, licensing agreements and research programme activity
- Process funding projects from contractual stage through to reporting stages
- Track progression of consultancy projects including the financials for reporting purposes to Edinburgh Innovations stakeholders and Head of Schools
- Monitor University of Edinburgh staff and student entries into enterprise awards, programmes and competitions such as ILG, Converge Challenge etc
- Process recipients of grants, funding and awards won for audit purposes
- Old College Capital information on company shareholder register is processed for contract purposes
- Maintain records of Enterprise Development incubation tenants to process contracts and ensure effective service provision
- Capture external, past and current researcher and academic disclosures of inventions and technologies, patent filings, potential monies due to inventions and royalty statements for administration and contract purposes
- Process the University technology and the negotiation and conclusion of licence agreements of the technologies
- Allow the identification of academics and researchers for potential industry collaborations for contract and collaborative research, consultancy opportunities, engagement activities and industry funding awards
- Process payment of royalties to past and current researchers and academics
On the basis of our legitimate business interests to you we will:
- Supply you with the products, services and information that you request from us and to allow us to respond to your enquiry accordingly
- Analyse the information we collect so that we can administer, support, improve and develop the website to ensure continuous improvement of our services
- Inform mentors and business professionals of opportunities that may be of interest to them
- Monitor the progress of Enterprise Development and Launch.ed clients and inform the clients of appropriate opportunities and services
- Assist clients in visa application processes
- Notify you about changes to our service
HOW LONG WILL WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
Some examples of customer data retention periods:
Enterprise Development incubation tenants
When you become an incubation tenant, we’ll keep the personal data you give to us for five years after the duration of the tenancy so we can comply with our contractual obligations.
When you purchase a licence from the University of Edinburgh, we’ll keep the personal data you give us for ten years so we can comply with our legitimate and contractual obligations.
STORAGE OF YOUR INFORMATION
Transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of data transmitted to the website. Any transmission is at your own risk.
Once we have received your information, we employ security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
All payment transactions will be encrypted. Areas of the site that process online transactions make use of – and transfer data to – third-party software and service providers. All third-party software and service providers that we use are compliant with the relevant Payment Card Industry standards.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
Authorised personnel within Edinburgh Innovations will be able to access the information you provide to us. Unless required to do so by law, we will not share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent. To comply with statutory requirements, we are required to share your personal information with external agencies, particularly for the purposes of detection or prevention of crime or fraud. We may also disclose your personal information to the University of Edinburgh or any other subsidiary of the University of Edinburgh, for the purposes disclosed in this privacy statement.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR DATA WITH
Information that you share with us will be processed by the following 3rd Parties:
- Salesforce, customer relationship management
- Docusign, digital signature
- Uppsala University currently hold AIMday delegate information as registration is processed via the AIMday website
- If you have requested access to the Enterprise Services Validate programme you will be required to setup an account with Validate and your details will be held by Validate
- If you use the Click-Thru Licensing System and choose to purchase a licence using our electronic payment option, we will pass your personal information to a third party payment facilitator (such as PayPal), if required, in order to facilitate your payment.
HOW TO ACCESS/UPDATE/UNSUBSCRIBE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information held by us in our records. If you would like a copy of this information, please contact us using the details below. We want to make sure that your information is accurate and up to date. You may also ask us to correct or remove any information you think is inaccurate.
EI will provide you with a copy of all information maintained about you upon written request to:
Data Protection Officer
The University of Edinburgh
1 Roxburgh Street
Edinburgh EH8 9TA
Or by email to email@example.com
EI will correct any inaccuracies in such information as soon as practicable after being notified in writing. Any user may also require that this information be removed from EI’s records by writing, emailing EI or unsubscribing.
If you change your mind about being contacted in the future by any of these means you can opt out from further communications at any point by contacting us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the address above, alternatively unsubscribe via the unsubscribe link at the bottom of email communications you receive from us.