When you join Edinburgh Innovations, you join a diverse team of professionals who help explore opportunities, build ideas and deliver results. At Edinburgh Innovations, you will create an impact. Explore our vacancies to start your career at EI.
Technology Transfer Manager (Life Sciences)
Reference 051157| Closing Date 23 February 2020
The TTM will take a lead role in developing and commercialising University of Edinburgh intellectual property, in the area of life sciences. The role encompasses liaising with clients, potential clients, inventors, business development colleagues, and other technology transfer colleagues to identify and assess the commercial potential of disclosures, undertaking relevant diligence, marketing technologies to potential licensees and concluding appropriate licence and other commercial arrangements.
- Working as a part of EI Account Teams, identify and carry out due diligence on intellectual property (IP) disclosed by academic staff to establish a protection and exploitation strategy capable of achieving a commercial end point through utilising quality industry feedback (including data from evaluation studies) throughout the life cycle of the IP development and exploitation project.
- Proactive marketing of Intellectual Property, to secure new licensees or co-development partners through marketing collateral development, including attendance at relevant partnering and industry events, and targeted approaches to potential licensees.
- Negotiation of, and conclusion of, licensing and/or co-development deals alone or in consultation with the University researchers, legal advisers, and ERI colleagues as appropriate.
- Implement technology specific commercialisation / exploitation strategy (alone or in conjunction with colleagues as appropriate), but always providing overall leadership for each IP-based project, clarity over responsibilities for individual tasks, and clear communication with colleagues particularly around milestones / deadlines / key decision points, etc.
- Management of the patent protection and prosecution strategy for relevant technologies, in collaboration with our external patent agents, to ensure the opportunity is accurately specified and defined by an appropriately expansive claim set to maximise the industrially applicable products / processes captured. Securing (internal) funds for patent protection; undertaking market research; and managing IP development / proof of principle funds, including driving of projects to a successful commercial outcome.
- Maintain and update ERI commercialisation records so that accurate and reliable information is available for ERI reporting.
- Undertaking any other duties appropriate to the role, such as participating in workshops to raise awareness of IP and commercialisation, and assisting with business improvements of in-house systems / processes, etc.